Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Memories ( Enilda Diaz )

Here I sit thinking of you. It is Autumn and I feel so lonely without you. The breeze is blowing and I feel so cold. I close my eyes and remember the day that you left me. Tears sting my eyes as I remember the hour, the agony of that moment. You were leaving me to go to the service of our country. I remember how I cried in your arms, how you held me so tight. The warmth of your arms around me; your heart beating against mine; your lips kissing away my tears. Oh God, how I loved you then and how I love you now even though you are no longer with me. How it hurts to remember the happy hours, the tender moments we spent together. But, I never want to forget, my darling. Those memories are the only thing that keep me alive, for without them I would feel dead inside.

Slowly, thoughts of that other day come to my mind as tears flow like falling rain from my eyes and tearing sobs wrack my body. I hide my face in my hands in desperation trying to block the memories, but it is too late; Oh God it is so late and the torment of that day, the saddest day of my whole existence comes back to haunt me. My heart seems to stop beating as I remember that letter that brought me the news of your death. Oh, torment of torments. The last word I remember reading was "dead ...dead ...dead..." before the letter fell from my hands and a heart-rending scream brought my father running just in time to hold my fainted body in his arms.

I don't know how many days passed before I was completely conscious of what had happened. All I know is that I thought I would go mad. I couldn't understand how I could go on living when all I wanted was to die also, for without you life had no meaning.

As I walk to the spot where our favorite tree stands I can see in my mind images kissing under its shadow. I caress the heart that you engraved on it with your name and mine and my heart feels so much pain that as each day passes I feel I die a little more until that final day when I will finally join you forever .... and ever... and ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment